Hot beverages for winter adventures are a game changer
For many of us, the decision to head outdoors to explore in the winter is made much more difficult with the addition of ice, snow and below freezing temperatures. Shorter days also require us to wake up earlier if we are to cram a full day’s worth of adventure into less than 10 hours of daylight (as opposed to over 14 hours in the summer months).
Luckily, packing or prepping a hot drink for your next outing is simple, and offers the perfect solution to warming up from the inside out. Whether you are looking for a caffeine kick to start the day, or a soothing blend of herbs to wind down after an adventure, here are a few tips for preparing the perfect hot beverage.
BAGS OR BREWS?
Having something warm to start your adventure with will help prepare you for the cold air that lies ahead. On the other hand, having a hot drink waiting for you at the car when you get back is always a pleasant surprise. With so many drink options on the market nowadays, finding the perfect coffee or tea is part of the adventure.
For a pick-me-up first thing in the morning, choose a coffee or tea that you enjoy as is. The addition of sweetener or creamer can affect your overall morning buzz, and could lead to a sugar crash or leave you feeling sluggish. If you prefer tea, select a black or green tea for the higher caffeine content.
For those who prefer non-caffeinated drinks, or want to enjoy a mid-afternoon drink without having to worry about caffeine keeping you up all night, try decaf coffee or herbal tea. In this case, we prefer tea for the plethora of options that exist — fruity, spiced, floral, zesty… there’s a tea leaf blend for every mood and occasion.
Not a fan of coffee or tea? Try mixing it up with hot cocoa or warm apple cider.
Planning to make your drink prior to heading out the door is the most simple way to ensure that you get exactly what you want. The hardest part about making a drink ahead is ensuring that it won’t leak everywhere, and that it will stay hot until you plan on consuming it. The easiest way to transport your drink of choice is by way of an insulated container. Yet, with so many options on the market these days, selecting the right one ends up being part of the adventure. Finding one that is capable of keeping its contents nice and hot in a frigid vehicle for hours on end is the end goal.
Thermos has been a household name for years, and has stood up to the test of time. Plus, the cap doubles as a convenient cup when you’re ready for a drink. Fill up one of these bad boys before hitting the road and enjoy your favorite drink at any time during the day.
PARKING LOT PREP
Another way to enjoy a hot beverage at the end of the day is by preparing it right at your vehicle. For the easiest way to a hot drink, boil some water using a tiny portable stove. Instant coffee packs or tea bags work best for the quickest and easiest access to a hot beverage.
Pour over coffee options are also a good bet — just don’t forget to pack the filters! But if you’re set on bringing the french press, check out Planetary Design’s new OVRLNDR Press, which simplifies the process and makes cleanup easy with its all-in-one design.
OUR FAVORITE BEVERAGES
Fresh Ground Coffee
- 81301 Coffee Roasters Morning Stoke Blend
- Stronghold Coffee Espresso Blend
- Desert Sun Southwest Morning
Pour Over Coffee
- Kuju Coffee Basecamp Blend
- Copper Cow Coffee Churro Latte
- La Colombe Bleu – Organic Dark Roast
- First Ascent Coffee Roasters Dawn Patrol
- Stoked Roasters Stoked Stix
- Voila Seasonal Affective Drink
Tea – Caffeinated
- Colorado Tea Company Chairlift Chai
- Old Barrel Tea Company Ginger Chai
- Tazo Tea Concentrate Black Tea Organic Chai Latte
- Numi Organic Tea Aged Earl Gray
Tea – Non-Caffeinated
- Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice
- Maya Tea Vanilla Spice Herbal
- Good Earth Tea Co. Sweet and Spicy
- Old Barrel Tea Company Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Animas Chocolate Company Hot Chocolate Mix
- Skratch Labs Hot Apple Cider Hydration Drink Mix
- MUD/WTR Coffee Alternative (Cacao, Spice, Mushroom Blend)
- Clever Golden Superlatte (Golden Milk, No Coffee Added)
- KOS Holy Cacao! Hot Chocoshroom Blend